Monday, May 3, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent...

OK, so for a long time I've heard about making homemade laundry detergent. I never tried it because I thought it would be a difficult process. Well, let me tell you...it's not! It's super easy!!!

With the economy the way it is right now, I've been trying to stretch our dollars to the max. I was so excited to find this recipe and I can't believe how much money it will save us. Check this out...
$1.49 Fels-Naptha Bar Soap
3.79 Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
$3.49 Borax Powder
$3.47 5 Gallon Bucket
Total for all supplies...$12.24
My normal store brand detergent cost that much and I buy it about every 6-8 weeks.
I figure this homemade version will save us approx. $100-$150 a year! Isn't that amazing?! And...I still have supplies left over for several more batches of detergent. It very well could only cost me less than $15 for several years worth of laundry soap. If I could only find a way to make homemade toilet paper and paper towels!!! That stuff is outrageously expensive!

Here is the link to the Duggar Family's Website...this is where I found the recipe...
We've also tried their tatortot casserole recipe...YUMMY!
What dollar stretching things do you do? Let's share ideas and help each other out.





1 comment:

  1. Karen..I've done some things that i HOPE are "green" and i believe save some $..I like to wear old white tshirts..when i'm working in the house..or my flowers.etc..when they start looking too bad..i wash them cut them up..put them in a bucket with a water/clorox solution..just a little clorox..and i use them to clean instead of paper towels..another thing ive done recently..my oldest gdaughter had some little t shirts with really cute appliques on them..the tshirts were stained..etc..so i cut out the applique and put it on plain white tshirt..its like a new tshirt..small things..hopefully they will add up..

    ReplyDelete