Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Compost Cookies

OK...so last time I posted about starting a compost container in your garden... Now I have a different kind of compost recipe for you to try...this one is compost to eat! Yes, I said eat! Don't turn me off yet...it's actually really good and fun to make, especially with children.

I saw this one morning on tv and just had to try it. How many times do you have a bit of this (nuts, crackers, potato chips) and that (candy, cereal) but not enough to actually use for anything? Now you can put all those extra little ingredients into a "Compost Cookie"...not wasting anything. I found the recipe on the MomoFuku Milk Bar website... MomoFuku is a little bakery in the East Village in New York City. I've never been there, but have heard about it...looks like a cool place.

I made a big batch of the basic cookie recipe, then divided the batter into 4 bowls...1 for myself and 1 for each of my 3 girls. That way we could each add what we wanted to make our own custom cookies.

The basic recipe is:
1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar ( I use Splenda)
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar ( I use a Splenda blend)
1 Tbsp Corn Syrup
Mix above ingredients in mixing bowl until creamy. Then add vanilla and eggs.
1 tsp Vanilla ( I make my own)
2 large eggs
Continue to beat about 10 minutes on medium speed.
Then add the last 4 ingredients below and beat at low for 1 minute.
1 3/4 Cups Flour (of course I grind my own soft white wheat grain)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Salt

Now you are ready for fun!!! Add 1 1/2 Cups of 'this' and 'that'. If you want to divided your batter to make different kinds of cookies, you will also need to divide the 1 1/2 Cups of extras accordingly. After you mix in your extra goodies, cover your bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour. You can also roll into a log and have slice and bake cookies ready to bake anytime you want them. This will keep in the refridgerator for up to 1 week. When ready to bake, scoop into balls on cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 9-11 minutes.

In my cookie I added: Peanut Butter, coconut flakes, crushed pretzels, mixed nuts, dried cranberries, grated white chocolate and butterscotch chips. My girls used M&Ms, chopped candy bars, Goldfish crackers, and chocolate chips and cereal.

I've been told you can add just about anything...that's why it's called a compost cookie...you just dump in whatever you have on hand. And...they are very tasty! What will you put in your compost cookie?


Want to try another crazy good recipe from MomoFuku? How about "Crack Pie" ?!










No comments:

Post a Comment